WHAT HOME MEANS TO ME CONTEST!
What Home Means to Me" Poster Contest Entry Rules
- Theme - "What Home Means to Me"
- Size - All posters must be 22" x 28" and have a LANDSCAPE/HORIZONTAL orientation to
be considered for national judging and may be featured in the 2023 "What Home Means to Me" calendar.
- Media - Contestant may use any of the following art media: marker, crayon, paint, or color pencil. Please consider that posters will need to be packaged, mailed and reproduced.
- All entries must be mailed flat.
- All contestants must sign a release making their entry the property of NAHRO and permitting duplication/publication thereof. The release should be secured to the back of the entry.
- All regional finalists and national winners must sign a photo release waiver giving NAHRO permission to use their picture for online and print publication.
- All contestants are asked to provide a short narrative on the inspiration, vision, and importance of their poster design. The narrative should be secured on the back of the entry.
- Contestant's name, grade level, age, and housing authority must be written on the back of each poster entry in addition to being listed on the release form also attached to the entry.
- NAHRO is only responsible for returning the original poster to the national grand prize winner. NAHRO is not responsible for returning posters except for the grand prize-winning poster.
- National winners will be selected based on how well the artwork uses the "What Home Means to Me" theme.
- Email a photo of the contestant entering the poster to Libby Miller at email@example.com. Photos should be in .jpeg or .png format.
Eligibility and Selection Categories:
Contest participation is open to all children in grades K-12 residing in affordable housing assisted directly, supported under community development, or participants in affordable housing programs administered by a NAHRO member authority (i.e., public or Section 8-assisted housing CDBG, HOME, LIHTC). If you are unsure of your membership status, please contact Libby Miller at firstname.lastname@example.org. Entries must be created by only one person. Entries created by two or more people will not be accepted.
Elementary: K to 5th grade
Middle: 6th to 8th grade
High: 9th to 12th grade
1) NAHRO member housing authorities submit their entries to their local/state NAHRO chapter. If your local/state NAHRO chapter does not hold a poster contest, contact your NAHRO regional council for more information regarding their poster competition.
2) Local/state NAHRO chapters may submit entries to their regional council.
3) The regional councils hold separate contests and send their top three winners (one from each age category) to national NAHRO.
4) National NAHRO holds a national contest to pick the 13 national winners.
Local Chapter/State Competitions:
Housing authorities must be active NAHRO members in good standing to participate in the "What Home Means to Me" poster contest. Housing authorities submitting entries to the national poster contest must first send entries to their local/state NAHRO chapter or NAHRO regional council.
While local state/chapter contests are optional, NAHRO encourages local/state NAHRO chapters to host their own poster contests and submit the winning posters to their regional council. If your local/state NAHRO chapter does not hold a poster contest, contact your NAHRO regional council for more information regarding their poster competition.
NAHRO will not accept submissions from individual housing authorities or state associations. Any submissions sent directly to NAHRO will be disqualified.
Regional Council Competitions:
Each regional council will determine a deadline for their poster contest entries and a date for regional judging. National NAHRO is not involved in the scheduling or management of regional council contests. The eight regional councils will select three winners -one from each age category - and forward those winners to the national competition in Washington, D.C.
National honorees will be selected by a panel of judges assembled by NAHRO staff. National honorees will be announced during Housing America Month in October. All eight NAHRO regions will be represented in the calendar.
For NAHRO Regions:
Deadline for submission of regional honorees to NAHRO is Friday, August 5, 2022.
Only regional honorees should be mailed to:
NAHRO-2022 Poster Contest
Attn: Libby Miller
630 Eye Street NW
Washington, DC 20001
Please also email a digital photo of the regional honorees to Libby Miller at email@example.com in either .jpeg or .png format.
The grand prize cover winner will receive an iPad and a framed copy of their original artwork. The cover winner and one legal guardian will also get a trip to Washington D.C. and attend NAHRO's Washington Conference where he or she will be honored. The 12 national winners will each receive a $100 Visa gift card.