The Housing Choice Voucher program is a tenant based program assisting very low income families in locating safe, decent, and affordable housing in the private market by offering assistance payments directly to the owner on behalf of the family. The subsidy remains with the family; it is not attached to the dwelling unit. The amount of subsidy is based on the family's income and household composition.
- The Housing Choice Voucher Program is designed to achieve four major objectives:
- To provide improved living conditions for low and very low income families while maintaining their rent payments at an affordable level;
- To promote freedom of housing choice and integrate lower income and minority families into mainstream society;
- To provide decent, safe, and affordable housing for eligible participants; and
- To provide an incentive to private property owners to rent to lower income families by offering timely assistance payments.
The landlord plays a key role in meeting the objectives of the Housing Choice Voucher Program.